Your Vehicle is a complex machine built for a simple purpose, moving from one point to another. It’s hard to believe that an engine with countless moving parts, different fluids, and a flammable fuel source goes to work to move you. Just like it’s difficult to keep a clear track of the various parts under your car’s hood, it can also be difficult to keep track of when and how to maintain those various parts. One of the simplest and, arguably, most important auto services you can have performed on your ride is the car oil change. Done anywhere from every 3,000 to 10,000 miles (depending on the oil you use), this important auto service ensures that the moving parts in your engine compartment are well lubricated and operating without a hitch.
This important auto service is also one that’s fairly user-friendly and can be done by anyone, with a little know-how. At Dynasty Boyz Auto Club, we’re here to show you how you can do your own car oil change like a pro!
Doing an Oil Change Like a Pro
The undercarriage and engine compartment of your vehicle can look pretty intimidating. So, here are a few steps to get you started:
Familiarize Yourself with Your Ride
For this, you need to look past the noise of your engine and look for what you need. To get a car oil change done, you need to look for very specific parts like the oil cap (located on the top of the engine block), the dipstick (a yellow or orange ring that sits closer to you in the engine compartment), the oil pan (under the vehicle), and the drain plug (on the pan body). Take your time finding these parts and refer to a reliable Clermont Toyota automotive authority if you have questions or need help.
Check Your Car’s Oil
Believe it or not, just because your vehicle’s oil light came on, you might not need to have a car oil change done just yet. You can find out by using your dipstick and a white towel (paper or fabric). First, locate the dipstick and pull it out of its housing (have the towel ready). Put the metal stick in the towel and wipe the oil off. Check the color. Is it light brown? Is there any debris in it? Depending on your findings and answer, determine if you actually need to change the oil in your car.
Sure You Have the Right Supplies
Every car has different needs regarding the type and amount of fluids they need to function. Before you dive into your car oil change, find out which oil your car needs and how much. It also helps to know which type of filter your car needs as you might wind up changing that in conjunction with your oil. You can find this information through reputable online sources and your Auto Zone.
Start Your Oil Change
These next parts can be tricky so make sure to perform them in the correct.
– First, lift up your car using 1 – 2 vehicle jacks (we recommend 2).
– Find the oil pan within your undercarriage. It’s a rectangular object located toward the front of your vehicle’s underbody.
– Place a drain pan underneath the Clermont oil pan and start loosening the drain plug.
– Make sure to do this after your vehicle has been off for some time!
– Release the drain plug and do so quickly to avoid getting too much oil splash on your hands and arms.
– If you need to remove the oil filter, do so at this time.
– After all the oil has drained, replace the drain plug and filter.
– Then, locate the oil cap on top of the engine and unscrew it.
– Use a good funnel and pour the oil into the engine. Make sure you fill it with the correct amount of oil.
– Start your car and check your dipstick to make sure there’s oil in your engine and that’s it!
Easy peasy! After you’ve finished your car oil change, make sure to dispose of the old oil properly along with the filter.
If you need help with your DIY car oil change or you’d like one of our auto service experts to help you out, swing by Dynasty Boyz Auto Club today! You can find us at 10 Waverly Pl Staten Island NY 10304 five days a week!